Getting a hardship permit after a DUII

| Jun 14, 2018 | Drunk Driving |

A driver’s license suspension for driving under the influence of intoxicants in Oregon can be scary for someone who needs reliable transportation. However, as explains, if a person qualifies for a hardship permit, he or she may be able to regain some limited driving privileges.

No one is guaranteed a hardship permit. One of the requirements for qualification is installing an ignition interlock device. The IID connects to the ignition of a vehicle. To start the motor, the person must blow into the mouthpiece of the device. If the breath sample is below 0.02 percent blood alcohol concentration, then the vehicle will start. 

In addition to installing the IID, the process to get a hardship permit includes filling out and submitting the application and proof of insurance forms, paying fees and obtaining a recommendation for the permit from the judge who entered the judgment of conviction.

The Oregon Hardship/Probationary Permit Application requires detailed information about a person’s employment, including the following:

  • Who the employer is
  • Where the worksite is located
  • What shifts the person works
  • Which days the person works
  • Whether driving is part of the job duties

The employer will also have to provide a letter on company letterhead that verifies the employment and all the above information. A self-employed person may also receive a hardship permit by providing a copy of a current business license or other approved documentation of employment. If a person’s transportation needs include getting to and from alcohol or drug treatment, the location, time and days of those meetings must also be provided.

The judge has discretion to impose other requirements on a person who has a DUII conviction before the hardship permit can be issued.