David J. Celuch
Call Now For The Answers You Need:
Local: 503-388-4325

A court may reverse a decision years after your conviction

If a judge sentenced your loved one to time in prison, you may think that is the worst thing that could happen to them. With their freedom removed from them, and seemingly having their rights restricted, it may seem as though there is no hope. Unfortunately, for some inmates, matters get worse due to the dynamics of those around them during incarceration.

For one man who was already serving an extended prison sentence for robbery, burglary, theft and kidnapping, loved ones likely grew more concerned when a court found him guilty of taking another inmate’s life in 1998. Until recently, a capital punishment ruling loomed over his head.

Death row conviction overturned by the Oregon Court of Appeals

Twenty-one years after his conviction for aggravated murder, a court reversed a capital punishment opinion. The determining factor was that another prisoner previously fabricated his testimony alleging the inmate’s intent and guilt.

According to recent reports, the witness allegedly lied about:

  • The white inmate’s dispute resolution on behalf of a Native American club
  • His own level of club participation
  • Seeing weapons crafted by members of the club
  • A “murder-for-hire” plot involving the man who died

The court explored the appeal based on ineffective counsel, suggesting that the witness’s testimony had not been thoroughly investigated during the original trial.

You may have the option of helping someone appeal their court decision

A court bases their decisions on an in-depth exploration of evidence, testimony and fact. However, depending on your circumstances, you may have the option of helping someone you love appeal their conviction. If you feel as though your loved one did not receive effective counsel in their case, you may be wise to help them explore their options.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

David J. Celuch Contact our firm to schedule a consultation with David J. Celuch.

David J. Celuch
1318 Southwest 12th Avenue
Portland, OR 97201

Phone: 503-388-4325
Fax: 503-224-6278
Map & Directions

Google Map