Portland, Oregon Appeals Lawyer

In Oregon the law does not allow you to appeal your initial conviction on the grounds that criminal defense attorney could have done a better job. Unless your attorney was ineffective according to constitutional standards, this kind of complaint won’t get you a new hearing and it won’t get you out of jail.

You can, however, complain about errors or misconduct by your lawyer, the judge, or the prosecutor, after an appeal has been completed.

Don’t Give Up Hope if Things Didn’t Go Your Way

A failed appeal in criminal court does not necessarily mean you are out of options. If you’ve been unhappy with the performance of your previous attorneys, there may be something you can do about it.

I’m criminal appeals lawyer David J. Celuch. For more than a decade I’ve been fighting to protect the rights of my clients at all stages of criminal proceedings. I can handle your initial criminal appeal as well as seek post-conviction relief.

There may be an opportunity to fix the mistakes the court made the first time it heard your case. Contact me by e-mail or call 503-388-4325 to schedule a free initial consultation.

Post-Conviction Relief Goes Beyond the Appeals Process

If you are asking for post-conviction relief, you are saying to the court that you did not receive a full and complete defense. Some of the ways the system may have failed you include:

  • Prosecutorial misconduct (the prosecutor acted illegally or unethically)
  • Witnesses recanted
  • There is evidence that wasn’t heard at your trial
  • Your lawyer was ineffective (ineffective assistance of counsel)
  • You were deprived of your constitutional rights during the trial and appeal

What Can You Achieve with Post-Conviction Relief?

In some cases, it is possible to get released from prison or to get a new trial.

Contact My Portland Law Office

Call 503-388-4325 for a free initial consultation or contact me by e-mail. My office hours are 8 am to 5 pm weekdays. If you call after hours you will receive my voice mail, which will give you a cell phone number to contact in case of emergency.